Sunday 25 September 2011

Day 7 - 25th September

A good dry (apart from a wet bottom - seat still damp) run from Dumfries to Chester. Typing this for the second time because the B&B internet is so flaky that I lost almost all of the previous attempt, and having to do it sitting on the landing because their WiFi doesn't stretch to my room on the top floor. Pity that the place I am staying for two nights has such poor internet, because otherwise it's comfortable and welcoming.

I used the A6 and A59 through Liverpool to avoid the motorway, but had to go through Lancaster and Preston as well so it was slow going following long trains of Sunday trippers. The top part of the A6 has some nice scenery, though not as extreme as Scotland. Sunday seems to be the day that all Lancastrian bikers go for a run - there were hordes of them, mostly well behaved, though one group including a trike with the two wheels at the front were being a bit naughty.

From the A6 approaching Penrith - M6 in the distance

Entering Lancashire, a place where letters fall off their signs

I was a bit worried about how I was going to pay the toll for the Mersey Tunnel, but as I emerged there was a big sign saying "Motorcycles free" (good slogan) directing me to a little lane running round the back of the toll booths.

Distance today 178.2 miles in 6 hr 42 min, total so far 1290.4 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment