Friday 23 September 2011

Day 5 - 23rd September

A day which promised to be pretty wet, as the view out of my room in Fort Augustus shows. Very comfortable B&B, with smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I put on my packaway waterproof jacket under my motorcycle one, and remembered to put on my silk glove inners.

View from Corrie Liath B&B Fort Augustus

The extra layers kept me warm, even though I had to fill up from my can on the road to Fort William when I misjudged how much I had left. The Road to the Isles wasn't very romantic in the rain, but things began to brighten up as I rode on the long single track route to Ardnamurchan Point (furthest West). Had to wait for about 20 minutes on the way while they were relaying a stretch of the road, so some very smooth European funded tarmac to compensate for the very rough bits they hadn't yet got to. At the lighthouse it was dry but very windy, which accounts for the shaky photo. I was greeted by a border collie which bit my front tyre as I came to a halt. He was biting the tyres of everything that moved, though had learned to mostly go for the back ones.

Ardnamurchan Point Lighthouse - furthest West

Spectacular scenery again, you can see how the road has been cut into the side of the hill:

Between Kolchoan and the Point

... with the sea down below:

The Sound of Mull with Mull in the distance

I refilled my can at the most westerly petrol pump in Kilchoan, £1.55 a litre plus £1 surcharge for spending less than £25 (but not for bikes), but I was worried about running out again. Finished up by taking the Corran ferry to get to Glencoe village for the night.

Corran Ferry across Loch Leven

163.2 miles today taking 6hr 54 mins, 900.8 miles in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment