Sunday 25 September 2011

Day 6 - 24th September

A nice dry day, but the rain overnight had soaked my seat, so it was like sitting on a wet sponge all day.

Lovely scenery going down through Glencoe, then across to Loch Awe, Inverary and all round the top end of Loch Fyne. Passed the Oyster Bar, but no sign of any politicians doing deals. Down to Dunoon along the shore of Loch Eck, then took the ferry from Hunters Quay to Gourock to avoid going through Glasgow. It was nice and sunny and the Clyde looked very pretty.

Loch Awe

Loch Eck

Dunoon from the Hunters Quay ferry
On the other side I rode round the coast road down towards Ayr then took the Doon Valley through to Dumfries - very pretty but not as spectacular as the Highlands. Tried to fill up at a Marie Celeste filling station in Patna, said open on the sign, pumps were unlocked, but the office was locked up and no one about, so had to use the can again.

Distance today 211.4 miles in 6hr 35m. Total distance 1112.2 miles.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Pete,I hope I've done this right!
    Fab views, you're obviously having a great time.
    We went to Dunnett Head/Point (Nigel's confusing me)in about 1996, but there wasn't a marker there then. Do all the farms have rusting cars in their yards still?
    From the weather report I think you may still be getting rained on, but hope is that by the end of the week you'll be too hot, hope you took sun block too!
    Best wishes, looking forward to hearing all about this later,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Sounds as though you are having a jolly good time, but can it match a Saturday night at the Gas Club in Malin Bridge watching a selection of Sheffield finest bluesmen... well...yes I am sure it can!
    Looks like your in for a heatwave next week. Shorts, tee shirt and shades.. it's the only way!
    PS. Not sure why I appear as Abiatha Swelter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments and support. I've not packed any sun block, shades or shorts (the horses of Britain will be glad about the latter). However, I may wear a thinner jumper under my jacket if it starts getting warmer.

    I've no idea why you have morphed into Abiatha, you've not visited any Moroccan clinics recently?

    ReplyDelete