Sunday 28 August 2011

Full Scale Trial

On Wednesday 24th August I carried out a full scale trial run using all the luggage kit, including a can of fuel fixed to the seat with bungee cord. I followed a 90 mile circular route via Doncaster, Gainsborough and Worksop in the morning, and then did it the opposite way round in the afternoon, following a slightly different route. The bike stood up to it very well, and I was able to walk away at the end, and get up for work the next morning - despite doing the whole of the second circuit without a break. The only drama was the fuel can coming loose shortly after the starting the afternoon trip. Fortunately I was able to hang on to it, and stop safely one-handed. I think I have now worked out the right way to strap it on securely.

The first circuit covered 94.6 miles, took 2 hours 58 minutes and used 3.14 litres of fuel - 137 mpg and an average speed of 31.9 mph. The second circuit was 91.5 miles, took 3 hours and 6 minutes and used 3.42 litres - 122 mpg and a 29.5 mph average. In the morning I had been cruising at between 40 and 45 mph, in the evening I upped the speed to cruise at 50 mph, but had to drive through Doncaster in the rush hour. The lesson seems to be - cruising at 40-45 should make my assumed 30 mph average practical, but it would be worth not going through towns at rush hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment