Monday 1 August 2011

Trial trips and comfier seating

I need to get some practice in before setting off, both to get myself acclimatised and to find out what might go wrong. 


The first trip provided more of the latter than the former. I decided to use the bike for a meeting near Barnsley, a 30 mile round trip, and was making good progress when I got a puncture in the middle of the countryside. Fortunately the AA arrived in 45 minutes and recovered the bike, which looked a bit forlorn in the middle of a large car transporter, to Jeff Halls. They repaired the puncture, sold me some spare inner tubes and allowed me to borrow the workshop manual so I could copy the bits about how to remove the wheels - so I can do it myself in future. I've also ordered a new rear tyre as the existing one probably wouldn't last 2000 miles - a choice between the original type at £105, or a European equivalent at £30 - no choice really.


My second trip was after work, going up to Featherstone to watch Eagles in a Thursday evening match, a 60 mile round trip. All went well except for an awful performance by Eagles, and it was raining most of the way back. It's not nice in the dark and the rain on unfamiliar country lanes. One good thing was the fuel consumption, which seems to be over 110 mpg on a long run. Not so good was how hard the saddle was feeling at the end of the trip. I made a visit to a place I found out about on the Internet, Bielawski's Sheffield Trimming Co., who do car upholstery. They said they could add some more, softer, foam to the seat, and as my trip is for charity they would do it for £40 rather than £60, with the £20 difference being their donation. I took the bike in on Monday morning and collected it with a wider, thicker and softer seat in the evening - it certainly feels more comfortable.

Softer, thicker, wider - appropriate for the rider?







No comments:

Post a Comment